10 users responded in this post

Subscribe to this post comment rss or trackback url
mygif
Dustin said in February 18th, 2007 at 1:48 am

Dave,

I’ve put some time into studying the rental blog space lately and I’ve really been enjoying your commentary. You’ve definitely hit upon a unique niche and you’ve been filling in your commentary with some interesting data. Keep up the great work.

mygif
Dave said in February 18th, 2007 at 7:10 am

Dustin,

Thanks for stopping by. I have read your blog on occasion. I am glad you are enjoying my blog!

mygif
kelvin newman said in February 21st, 2007 at 4:36 am

It’s an interesting strategy, I don’t think its nesc hugely bad for the consumer if each site is offering a distinct propersition and content, however if its justy several UIs for the same data less so.

mygif
Jackson said in February 21st, 2007 at 11:59 am

It looks like these sites were just acquired by consumer source. I would think differently if they were running “shadow domains”, but that is clearly not the case. Each site is different with different code bases – php, asp, cfm, .aspx.

The backend integration of all of those sites would be an absolute nightmare and, I would imagine, very time consuming. Good luck with that!

As to the user experience, let’s be honest. I just looked at Rentvine’s listings for Atlanta. There are none – it’s just affiliate links. That’s a crappy experience! In my opinion, I don’t really care who owns a site – I’m looking for content. Those sites have content and listings, yours do not.

mygif
Dave said in February 21st, 2007 at 12:46 pm

Jackson,

Thanks for stopping by. You bring up a very valid point that I covered in this post.

It is true that I don’t have any listings in Atlanta yet, and yes I bet that this leads to a crappy user experience.

But my site is much newer than the Consumer Source Inc sites and I do not have a sales teams that has some 40-80 people on staff.

RentVine is run by one guy (me) and I only work on it part time.

So give me a little time and I will get some listings on Atlanta once I hit a critical mass with traffic.

Dave Dugdale

mygif
Jackson said in February 21st, 2007 at 2:02 pm

Hi Dave,

I just saw your link from Danny Sullivan’s site – and I live in Atlanta. And I am trying to rent a condo in Decatur. I have chosen to go with Craig’s list because it is not only free, it has tons of listings. The problem with Craig’s list is that the ad only gets leads for maybe one day – and then it moves so far down the list no one finds it.
Obviously, you spend a lot of time in this arena so what is the best way to get the place leased? Are you saying that my money would NOT be well spent with consumer source? Where is the best place to post an online rental? I have about 2 weeks before I have to “eat the rent” if I don’t get new tenants.

mygif
Dave said in February 21st, 2007 at 2:30 pm

Jackson,

For right now, I have no problem recommending one of the Primedia sites. I know I give the a hard time on this blog but I do have a lot of respect for them.

I might even try house.info first because they are free and have tons of traffic.

Dave

mygif
Jackson said in February 21st, 2007 at 3:18 pm

Thanks for the tip! I will give house.info a try.

mygif
Dave said in February 21st, 2007 at 4:41 pm

Jackson,

If you get a chance and come back here with your experience using Houses.info

mygif
Jeremy said in February 27th, 2007 at 8:25 pm

It seems that Consumer Source’s strategy is to cross-post listings on their sites, which is an even more direct conflict with the Google Webmaster Guidelines against duplicate content:

http://www. rentclicks.com/display.asp?adid=7178732a-259a-497e-bade-cde2bed96552

http://www. rentals.com/Listing/Detail.aspx?listingid=103313216

Same content, different logo.